Monday, September 8, 2014

Blog Post #4

What do we need to know about asking questions to be an effective teacher? I never really thought of this question before. Why do we as teachers need to ask questions?

I learned a new strategy about asking questions from the article The Right Way To Ask Questions in the Classroom by Ben Johnson. He states that we ask questions to make sure our students understand the material, but we need to be careful because only the "smart" or "confident" children will answer and the other children would not be even pay attention to the answers. 

Johnson states that we should ask the question, wait a few seconds and then pick a random student. While I know some students would think this in unfair or mean, I think it would be effective. If you did this on a regular basis as a teacher, it would make your students actually listen to what you are teaching in order to be able to answer your question if they are picked at random. 

Another strategy I like to use is to ask the children their opinion on the subject. It helps me get a good idea if they are absorbing the information and it gives me ideas on how to teach it by hearing it in their own words.  

Source: www.bayberryhomes.com
Source:www.bayberryhomes.com

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shelby! I also read the article Questions in the Classroom by Ben Johnson. I thought the tactic of picking a random student for questions each time was a great way to ensure that students paid attention to the subject at hand. If students knew the order of questions, then some may choose to only pay attention when it is their turn to answer. I also loved the idea of involving the student's opinion into the question; this will help to stray away from any open-ended questions. My only suggestion for this post is that you check your link to your pictures. I do not know if it is just my computer, but I cannot view your picture at all. Otherwise, great post! I look forward to reading your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all the links that Dr. Strange provided, is that one article the only thing you looked at? Also, we cannot see your picture.

    ReplyDelete